CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu health officials on Tuesday, September 20, urged the public to demolish the mosquito-breeding areas as the alarming number of dengue cases in the city has nearly doubled as compared to last year records.
The Cebu provincial health office chief, Dr. Rene Catan, said that the cases of the mosquito-borne tropical disease caused by the dengue virus recorded from January to September 19 of this year has already reached to a total of 4,919 compared to the 2,461 cases from January to December in 2015.
With that being said, there has been a significant increase of 2,458 cases already, Catan added.
He also noted that it would be impossible to eradicate the dengue causing mosquitoes in the tropical countries like the Philippines, thus the provincial health officials are locating their breeding places and are conducting misting operations.
Moreover, Catan said that his team are also educating the people in the province of Cebu about the importance of having a clean household and community.
“Mosquitoes have a high survival capability, Catan said. “It’s not easy to eliminate mosquitoes without affecting our ecosystem,” he added.
The government health officer Nino Ismael Pastor also addressed the public to be cautious of storing water, as stagnant water is the perfect place the mosquitoes looking for breeding sites.